Monday, July 06, 2009

Dash it

As my GT6 started life as a LHD US car, I had to find some new dash panels as part of the conversion to RHD. It wasn't as simple as ordering a new RHD dash, though, as the US cars' centre dash panel is unique. The solution, therefore, was to mix'n'match dash panels and re-veneer them.

To give the car an Australian flavour, the wood I chose was called 'Tiger Myrtle', actually a southern beech, Nothofagus cuninghamii, from Tasmania. Five coats of satin urethane later, it looks pretty good. I've still got to restore the tachometer and speedo though.





1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That wood has a color & grain that looks delicious.

I replaced the temp gauge with the Smith's temp/oil gauge in my Mk3 too, around 1980!

9:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home