Friday, October 29, 2010

Vents

I stuck my nose into Pace's Paint Shop on Tuesday to see how the GT6 was progressing. And progress is being made! Joe's cut out the wing vents, and is in the process of wire-rolling the edges to make a strong opening.


Triumph cut wing vents in their Le Mans Spitfires to improve air flow through the engine bay. The theory is that it's easier for the air to escape out the sides than squeeze between the sump and chassis rails, or along the gearbox. Cars tend to have higher pressure underneath than on top, so a lot of the warm air coming through the radiator is trapped. Race cars sometimes use NACA-style ducts to help extract the air - I haven't shaped my vents the same way because I wanted a similar look as the Le Mans Spitties. They're pretty large, though, so I figure the air will get out just fine!

Joe hopes to start mixing colours in a couple of weeks. Can't wait to see how it looks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home